Downward Dog PoseUp till now we have seen many poses that are vigorous and difficult for some. In today’s post we would see a pose which is very easy and liked my most of students who do this pose. Here is a pose which even a person who suffers from high blood pressure would enjoy, called as “Adho Mukha Svanasana”.
The name is derived from combination of two Sanskrit words “Adho” meaning downward, "Mukha" means facing and the word “Svana” means Dog. Literally in simple English this pose is also known by many as Downward Facing Dog Pose. The pose takes the time of the dog as in this pose one copies the way a dog would stretch his back every day.
How to do this pose:
- Lie down on the abdomen on the mat, while the back facing up. Keep the legs straight, arms on the side. The face should rest on the chin bone.
- Keep both the palms on the side of the shoulder. Make sure your keep a distance of one foot between both the feet.
- Inhale in and exhaling out slowly lifting your body on both feet and the palms. As you raise make sure your buttocks protrude out a little bit and your head goes down inside.
- Both the legs and the hands should be stiff and firm in this pose. It is very important to try to touch both the base of heals of the feet on the ground.
- Stay in the pose for few breathes. Keep on breathing in and out .Then slowly one can come out and may be doing again.
- It is very important to make sure that the heels touch the floor. For a beginner this would be very hard to do. But as you do it regularly one can easily do it.
- Make sure one keep the arms and the legs straight in the pose. No bends in this pose.
- Try to push your head more and more inward as you do this pose without moving both the legs and the hands .
- Nourishes the brain and neck area as this pose increases circulation to that area.
- Good to help relax the brain.
- Athletes, runners after some good work out on the field this pose helps then to relax easily.
- Good pose for those people who suffer with hypertension.
- Stiffness around the shoulder blades and the spine is reduced after doing this pose.
- Helpful pose for insomnia.
Its known work is one the Manipur chakra or the solar plexus.
Posted by Sudeep
Related post :